It is always a great idea to hire a cheap car when on holiday as it gives you the freedom to explore more places while escaping the hustle and bustle of busy tourist resorts. Not only that but it gives you the opportunity to discover hidden gems which might not be always on the usual tourist itinerary, making your holiday that bit more exciting! Finally, driving your own vehicle will provide a much more relaxing trip as you won’t have to worry about paying for an overpriced taxi fare for example or the stress of missing buses.
Low Cost Rent-a-Car in Sicily
One of the most famous landmarks in Sicily is the Palazzo Conte Federico, it is located in the centre of the old city and is one of the oldest buildings in Palermo. It offers a great insight into life as a European aristocrat therefore is great for anyone wanting to explore the history and culture of the area. Another popular site to visit is Mount Etna, this active stratovolcano features six craters and hundreds of vents. You can embark on a hiking experience with fantastic guides and learn about the volcano in safe hands! As well as that, many tourists like to visit Ortigia, a small island just off Sicily. The town is around 2700 years old and was founded by Ancient Greek Corinthians and Tenens, it is small but definitely worth the visit! You will also find a variety of tours in which you can embark on such as the Palermo street food walking tour, a wine tasting tour, a snorkelling tour and even a boat excursion so there is sure to be something which appeals to everyone. Finally, if you have decided to hire a low cost rent a car in Sicily you have the added advantage of being able to visit even more incredible places around the area, for example, Capo d’Orlando is a stunning town with an unspoiled panorama of the Aeolian Islands. It takes around 2 hours 30 minutes to reach and is overall a great place to spend the day.
Car Hire Tips for Sicily
- With so many great places to see in Sicily car hire is the best way to fit everything into your holiday itinerary.
- There are four motorways in Sicily, three are free however Messina-Palermo has a toll.
- Palermo, Catania and Trapani airports feature Auto Europa, Avis and Budget booths so you can pick up your car at the very beginning of your holiday.
- Hertz and Europcar also have desks at Comiso Airport.
- Car price comparison is often best done online as you will be able to view a variety of deals and choose whichever one best suits you.
- Always check your car for damages before driving off to ensure you are not mistakenly charged.
- Outside urban areas it is a legal requirement to keep your headlights on at all times, even during the day.
- It is a good idea to bring a sat-nav or have a GPS device installed on your phone if you are planning day trips to places such as Capo d’Orlando.