Hiring a cheap car in Cyprus is one of the best ways to make the most out of your holiday as it gives you the freedom to visit sites and attractions whenever it suits you, perfect for those wanting to explore at their own pace. As well as that, having your own vehicle rental offers a level of comfort that public transport does not provide, this can be especially good for families travelling with small children as it is far more convenient to jump in the car than it is to try and sort bus or train tickets for example.
Information on Places to Visit in Cyprus with a Car
One of the top attractions to visit in Cyprus has to be Kato Paphos Archaeological Park, this site contains the major part of the important ancient Greek and Roman city. It is definitely worth a visit if you want to explore more of the history and culture of the area. Alternatively, if you are looking for a beautiful and calming place to relax why not visit Konnos Bay, this relatively quiet cove is backed onto the national park reserve and is considered to be one of the most scenic beaches in Cyprus. As well as that, another popular attraction to visit is Agios Lazaros Church, this late-9th century church is located in the centre of Larnaca and is the primary place of worship in Agios Lazaros. The intricately designed stone church is thought to be one of the best examples of Byzantine architecture in Cyprus and so is definitely worth the visit. Eventhough Cyprus is a relatively small island it still offers some incredible driving experiences sure to make your holiday that bit more exciting. For example, Limassol to Paphos is a beautiful coastal drive that should take around an hour to complete. This drive will take you from the British Akrotiri base to the castle at Kolissi to the ancient site of Kurion, providing plenty of opportunities for some great holiday pictures! Alternatively, Paphos to Pano Panagia is another fantastic route. This 38 km drive will take you through vineyards and charming villages, very different to the coastal route previously mentioned but just as exciting.
Car Hire Tips in Cyprus
- No matter whether you fly into Larnaca International Airport or Paphos International Airport you are sure to find a great variety of car hire companies available with plenty of low-cost rentals.
- Cyprus’s main international airport is Larnaca, located on the southeast coast. It takes roughly 15-minutes to drive from this airport to the city centre.
- There is also the option to pick up your rental vehicle away from the airport as the majority of large resorts offer this possibility.
- Cyprus doesn’t have a great transport network, so it is a great idea to hire a low-cost rental if you want to see as much of this country as possible while still on a budget.
- It is always a good idea to avoid driving during rush hour, this tends to be 7 am to 9 am and 4 pm to 5 pm. But if you do decide to drive during these times just be sure to give yourself a bit of a buffer to reach your destination.