It is a great idea to hire a cheap car whilst on holiday as it means you are able to plan your trip around your own routine, there is no need to wake up at a certain time to catch the bus or leave somewhere early due to public transport schedules. This ensures you can easily make the most of your holiday. As well as that, having your own vehicle offers a level of comfort that public transport does not provide, this can be especially good for families travelling with small children as it is far more convenient to jump in the car than it is to try and sort bus or train tickets for example.
Low Cost Rent-a-Car in Florence
While in Florence you will find one of the most popular attractions is Gallerie Degli Uffizi. Admission tickets start from around £24 for this impressive art museum located adjacent to the Piazza Della Signoria, it is definitely worth the visit especially as it is one of the most famous museums in the world. Another popular attraction is the Basilica of Santa Croce, it was rebuilt for the Franciscan order in 1294 and is the burial place for certain famous people including Michelangelo, Rossini and Machiavelli. Tourists also tend to find visiting the Piazza del Duomo is a great trip out, here you can see The Duomo, the Bell Tower and the Baptistry as well as a great selection of restaurants and many gelato places! Low cost rent-a-car is a great way to explore the history of the area while also trying some classic Italian dishes. One great advantage of hiring a car when staying in Florence is that it allows you to visit some beautiful towns and cities in the surrounding area, for example, it takes roughly 25 minutes to drive from Florence to Tuscany and just over an hour to San Gimignano. As a result, you can really explore more of what Italy has to offer, why just stick to one town when there are plenty more great sites to see just a short drive away!
Car Hire Tips for Florence
- Florence Airport is just a 30-minute drive from the city centre.
- You will find a variety of hire desk companies at the airport including Avis, Europcar, Sixt, Hertz as well as several local brands.
- If you want to hire a car from Florence city centre you’ll find some offices just a short walk from Santa Maria Novella railway station.
- Most of Florence’s historic centre is pedestrianised, so it is a good idea to park up outside and explore on foot.
- Many of Florence’s streets are quite narrow often making them one-way so always keep a lookout for signs to see who has right of way.
- If you are planning to visit Tuscany, Pisa or San Gimignano at some point, bear in mind that many of the country’s motorways feature toll gates.
- You will find a few car parks around Florence Santa Maria Novella train station which offer good day rates.
- Florence also has a parking zone system for its street parking, here visitors can only park in spots marked blue.