Hiring a cheap car on holiday is the perfect way to escape the busy tourist spots and explore the destination as a local. Not only that but it is the best way to escape the hustle and bustle of busy tourist resorts allowing you to find beautiful and quaint hidden locations, sure to make your holiday that extra bit special. Finally, by renting a vehicle you don’t have to stick to timetables or schedules which mean you can change plans easily as you go along making your holiday perfectly suited to you!
Low Cost Rent-a-Car in Shannon
One of the most popular attractions to visit in Shannon is Bunratty Castle, it is arguably one of the most well-known castles in Ireland. It was built in 1425 and is one of the most impressive medieval fortresses that you will find in Ireland so it is definitely worth the visit! As well as that, a very popular restaurant not to be missed is Gallager’s Seafood Restaurant in Bunratty, this award-winning restaurant is set inside a beautiful thatched building and offers a good selection of locally sourced fish, meat and veg. So, if you want to try what the locals have to offer this is definitely a good place to go. Another great place to visit is Adare, around a 25-minute drive away, this is a stunning little heritage town found along the banks of the River Maigue in Limerick. The town is filled with pretty thatch buildings and cosy cafes. It is a lovely place to unwind and stroll through. The historic town of Ennis also makes for another great day trip, it is around a 20 minutes’ drive but is often missed by those who visit Shannon which is a shame as there are plenty of great things to do such as visit the Clare County Museum, Ennis Friary and Quin Abbey. Finally, The Loop Head Peninsula is a must-visit if you are visiting Shannon. Here you will find the Loop Head lighthouse, the cliffs at Kilbaha, Dolphinwatch Carrigaholt as well as the Bridges of Ross. It will take just over 20 minutes to arrive on the Loop Head Peninsula but can take around 1.5 hours to reach the cliffs. Overall, if you are planning a trip to Shannon it is a great idea to hire a low cost rent-a-car as it gives you so many more options to explore the fantastic areas close by.
Car Hire Tips at Shannon
- You can easily pick up your hire car from Shannon Airport and head straight off to explore Western Ireland.
- Shannon is ultimately the gateway to County Clare, giving you so many options to explore such a stunning area.
- Booking your car far in advance will help you achieve the most competitive rates and therefore the best price.
- If you are wanting to avoid the busiest season, think about travelling in May and September rather than June, July and August.
- It takes roughly 15 minutes to drive from Shannon Airport to the centre of Shannon.
- It is always a good idea to have a GPS app installed on your phone, especially as there are so many great day trip destinations from Shannon.