Hiring a car offers 100% flexibility and total freedom of movement for your holiday, what more could you possibly want? There is no need to stick to schedules and timetables so you can plan whichever is best for you. Not only that but having your own car can often help towards a much more relaxing holiday as you don’t have the stress of using public transport which can be confusing in another country especially if you don’t speak the language. Finally, hiring a car allows you to plan your days according to you and your own routine; if you find your itinerary is beginning to fill up with transfers and public transport it is probably worth your while renting a car.
Car Hire Places of Interest in Lisbon
Some of the most popular tourist destinations include Castelo de São Jorge which is located on the crown of a hill overlooking the stunning capital city town, there is something here for the whole family ensuring a great trip out. Another family friendly attraction is Oceanário de Lisboa, this modern aquarium is not only great fun but has also been praised for its marine environmental awareness campaigns, to reach this site from the capital centre it will take roughly 20 minutes in the car whereas public transport can generally be anywhere from 30-40 minutes. As well as that, Lisbon’s Romanesque cathedral attracts many visitors each year, it has undergone a number of makeovers since it was originally built in 1150 but its stunning architecture and artifact displays are something not to be missed! Finally, it is known that one of the most rewarding day trips out of Lisbon is to the stunning Sintra town, this only takes 30 minutes in the car and you will be greeted with quaint traditional restaurants, decorative cafes and beautiful ornate townhouses. It really is a fantastic trip out!
Car Hire Tips in Lisbon
- Booking in advance for car hire abroad can save you a lot of money, far more than just walking up to a car hire booth on the day.
- Several car hire companies operate from Lisbon Portela Airport such as Europcar, Hertz, Goldcar and Avis-Budget.
- If you want to hire a car for a specific day, perhaps for visiting Sintra town, booking offices for some branches can be found in the north-west of Lisbon city centre.
- It’s always a good idea to use a GPS when travelling anywhere unfamiliar, google maps navigation will be a big help when driving to places like Sintra town.
- Some local authorities seem to invest most money on building roundabouts and little on pavements, therefore it is a good idea to always be alert to any pedestrians walking along the road.
- On average it is around a 15 minute drive from the airport to the centre of Lisbon, more during rush hour.
- Parking in busy towns such as Baixa and Alfama can be tricky but you should always be able to find space in hotel car parks or underground parking facilities.
- Make sure to check the car’s condition and report any visible damages in order to avoid being charged unnecessarily.