is a great family destination with over 80 stretches of golden sand around the island and a beautiful Biosphere Reserve in the west. There are so many fantastic benefits from hiring a car on holiday including; getting off the beaten track and exploring the island freely, taking charge as you don’t have to stick to a public transport schedule and finally, it is a lot less stressful and much more comfortable than being packed on a busy bus for example. This is by no means an extensive list, but it is known that renting a car will bring a new level of freedom and comfort to your holiday!
Car Hire Places of Interest in Gran Canaria
One of the best places to visit in Gran Canaria is Playa de las Canteras, it has been named one of the best urban beaches in Europe
, as it is the longest beach on the island there is something for everyone to do here such as sunbathing, snorkelling through the lava reef, surfing and trying some of the delicious local cuisine at the beachfront restaurants, cafes and bars. As the area was Gran Canaria’s first ever tourist resort you are sure to find somewhere perfect to stay, however why be stuck in just one area of the island when there is so much to explore? This is why it is perfect to hire a car as it ensures you can explore more than just the busy tourist resorts. As well as that another fantastic place to visit is Vegueta, the original settlement which gave rise to what is now the capital, Las Palmas
. This charming old town features cobbled streets, old stone quarters, the town hall and the twin towers of Santa Ana Cathedral, making this perfect for anyone wanting to learn more about the history of the beautiful island. It is roughly 10 minutes from Playa de las Canteras if you are travelling in a car whereas if you are to use public transport it would be between 45 minutes to an hour. Overall, if you are looking for a low hassle holiday it is a great idea to rent a car so you can explore at your own convenience.
Car Hire Tips in Gran Canaria
- Car rental companies that can be found at the airport include Avis, Hertz, Europcar, Sixt and Ciscar, you’ll find the desks dotted around the main terminal building.
- The island is known to some as a ‘miniature continent’ as it offers such a variety of landscapes including; forests, vineyards, sand dunes and fields of volcanic rock.
- It is always best to book online in advance so you can take your time looking over the small print ensuring you don’t get caught out with any unnecessary financial hits, not only that but by filling in the paperwork in advance you will pick up your keys far faster and head straight onto the road!
- For those not wanting to hire from the airport you will find car hire outlets in Maspalomas, Playa del Ingles and Puerto Rico, which are some of the main tourist resorts.
- If you are travelling with small children a good money saving tip is to bring a car seat from the UK, rental companies are likely to charge extra whereas most airlines don’t charge more to transport the car seat in the hold.
- The island has four stretches of motorway, all of which are toll free, a network of single carriageway roads and some mountain roads which are only wide enough for one vehicle, so I would take extra caution on these.
- Driving in Las Palmas can be challenging during rush-hour traffic especially with its one way street system, but if you keep a level head you will be completely fine!