Hiring a cheap car in Montreal gives you the freedom to explore all the popular sites and attractions at your own pace while also giving you the opportunity to visit hidden gems often not on the typical tourist’s radar. Not only that but having your own car can often help achieve a much more relaxing holiday as you don’t have the stress of using public transport which can be especially confusing if you are a family travelling with young children. Ultimately, hiring a vehicle can often save you money in the long run as you won’t need to spend on public transport and taxi fares.
Information on Places to Visit in Montreal with a Car
You will find that one of the most popular destinations to visit in Montreal is Mount Royal Park, the park was designed by Olmstead who is the same person responsible for New York’s Central Park. The park itself is one of Montreal’s largest greenspaces and is the perfect place to go for a stroll or take part in some outdoor activities. Another fantastic place to visit is the Notre-Dame Basilica, this is Montreal’s oldest Catholic church which was built in 1656. It is well known because of its beautifully designed interior featuring a historical retelling of the city through incredibly intricate stained glass artwork. As well as that it takes roughly 20 minutes to drive from Montreal centre to the Montreal Botanical Garden, another great site not to be missed. It is part of the Montreal Space for Life, Canada’s largest natural museum science complex, and is one of the city’s jewels which often hosts exhibitions and activities, ensuring there is something here for everyone! One of the best advantages of vehicle rental in Montreal is that you are not restricted to just visiting the top attractions nearby, you have the opportunity to explore more of what Canada has to offer, for example Quebec City, all for a low price. It is roughly a 2-hour 45-minute drive from Montreal and is sure to make the perfect day trip destination. Finally, you will have the opportunity to drive some of the most scenic routes in Canada, for example, a trip to the Laurentian Shield’s Mountains and Lakes is accompanied by a driving route filled with greenery and beautiful lake views, definitely a sight not to be missed.
Car Hire Tips in Montreal
- Hiring a car in Montreal is a great way to explore not only Montreal itself but other great destinations in Canada.
- A variety of car hire desks can be found in Montreal Trudeau Airport including Alamo, Budget, Hertz, Thrift and more so you are sure to find a low-cost hire car that suits you and your preferences.
- It is always a good idea to have a GPS app installed on your phone if you are planning day trips to places like Quebec City or the Laurentian Shield’s Mountains.
- Speed limits in Montreal are posted in kilometres per hour rather than miles per hour, so make sure to bear this in mind when driving.
- You cannot turn right on a red light on the Island of Montreal, however, it is ok to do so everywhere else in the province of Quebec.